CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 9, 2008

My most favorite mother!


All this week on the Today show, they've had a competition for America's Favorite Mother. They have highlighted 3 different mothers everyday from different walks of life. They've had military moms, single moms, working moms, moms who have gone above and beyond (I think we've all done that), and COE (chief of everything) moms. I've enjoyed seeing these mothers all week and I love that the show has really dedicated a lot of time this week to ALL mothers!
I wanted to take a minute and tell you about my most favorite mom! She's mine, duh! My mom means so much to me. I am sad to say I probably took her for granted for far too long, but now I appreciate her more than she will EVER know! She is one of my closest friends, my protector (still), my shoulder to cry on (even if it is over the phone), we have the same sense of humor, my rock when I feel like I'm sinking, my biggest cheerleader and supporter, my human address book, and my very own problem solver (as she usually has a clearer head than I do). She's all these things and so much more. I remember Mother's Day 2001 when I told her I was pregnant (I know, what a horrible Mother's day gift) - she didn't yell or tell me what a horrible person I was, no - she sat and cried with me. And after she and I (and Brian) sat and cried for what seemed like forever, she brushed my tears away and began to think about what needed to be done to make the best of the situation. She held my hand while I told John (the hardest conversation I've EVER had with ANYONE) and encouraged me to continue to follow my heart and dreams. She showed me that having a baby (at the time we had no clue it was 2) wasn't the end of the world, it was just the beginning of an even better life ahead. She took care of me during my very difficult pregnancy. She held my hand in the operating room when the girls were delivered and never left my side in the hospital - she went with me every two hours to feed the girls in the NICU and help me with them at night when they could finally come to my room. She* took shifts caring for the girls when we came home. She* put her life on hold for 5 years while I finished school, worked and hunted for my soul mate. She has prayed for me throughout my life and continues to do so daily, I'm certain.
When I came home with my diamond from Cory, she was so happy. And when I told her that he was going Active Duty Army and that meant that we would have to move somewhere, she supported our decision (even if it meant I was taking HER grandbabies away). When I told her that Cory and I were moving up our wedding date and it was only 2 weeks away, she offered to help me plan a church wedding so we didn't have to go to the court house. She wouldn't let me settle for a dress just because I was tired of trying them on, she encouraged me to keep looking and I found my dream dress. She helped me plan my wedding in less that two weeks and sat there proudly as I married the man of my dreams (despite the best efforts of some). She cried when we left last May to begin our journey here in Texas, but supported us unconditionally! SHe cared for the girls while we setteled in here and flew with them and left them here although I know it was probably as hard as seeing me leave. She flew to Texas when Reese was born and took care of EVERYTHING while she was here so I could recover. She is more than a Grandmother to my kids, she is like their second mother. She continues to give selflessly to her family daily. I know she is proud of me and even if I don't say it enough- I am proud of her. I know she will be one of my biggest supporters (as always) while Cory is away.
My mother has taught me about Jesus, how to be a mom (though I will never be as good as her), how to love unconditionally, how to follow my dreams, how to overcome what seems to be impossible, how to be a wife, how to be a friend, how to forgive and so much more. She came to EVERY activity I was involved in. She has traveled from coast to coast to be a part of things I was involved in. She has loved me unconditionally, though at times I know I was unlovable. She helped me through my high school years, boy was that tough?!? She continues to pick me up and brush me off when I've fallen, just as she did when I was a kid (though now its more emotionally than physically). She has supported me through all my journeys, and has held my hand through good and bad times! I am truly the luckiest person in the world to have her as my mother and my kids will want for nothing (physically or emotionally) as she is the most giving person I know!
I could go on and on for days about everything she has done for me and taught me. And though I can't give her $70,000 (that's what the winner of the Today show contest wins), I can give her my neverending friendship, love, & support, three of the cutest Grandkids on earth who adore her, a shoulder to cry on, a soundingboard to vent to and a legacy that will live on in me and my kids even after she is gone (many years from now). I also promise to NEVER put her in a nursing home, and even if I don't care for her personally on a daily basis (I don't know if I have the patience for that), I will provide a pool (with swimmies of course), a home for her and John, all the manicures and pedicures she can stand, and trips to have her hair done and the best round the clock care money can buy when she is unable to care for herself!
I love you MOM! I could never Thank you enough for everything you have done for me and my family! You are the GREATEST MOM in the world! Even though I am 1000 miles away, please know you are in my heart and I miss you dearly. This Mother's Day is the hardest for me as I am unable to spend it with you, my most favorite mother! Thank you for never giving up on me, supporting me though I know it ripped your heart into shreds sometimes, for holding my hand, for wiping away my tears, for loving me through the good times and bad, for being my role model, for defending me , for protecting me and loving me patiently as I figured out who I am. You mean the world to me and you will always be my most favorite mom!!!!!!! Happy Mothers Day! (I know I'm early - but I wanted to share my thoughts today while I had the time)

*I don't want it to be forgotten that John, my stepdad has done most of these things as well as my mom, but its mother's day - this post is for Mom! Your's is coming soon, John!!!

3 comments:

Annie said...

That was a beautiful post!

Jackie said...

Ok, You have me crying....you are right she is a wonderful mom and friend! Jackie

natalie said...

Great post! We are lucky to have such wonderful mothers who we can emulate in order to be great mothers to our own children. I love the new look of your blog.