CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 22, 2007

We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!!!

Last night I had to go to the hospital. Everything thing's fine with Reese, I just have a really bad UTI. I swear the more time I spend here in Killeen, Tx, I feel like I've been thrown back to the "stone age". Ok, so I'm exagerating a bit about the time, but I do feel like I'm in a time warp. This was reconfirmed for me last night at the hospital. When we walked back to Labor and Delivery and through the double doors to the department, we were greeted by a RN who told us that Cory would have to wait in the waiting room with the girls - this infuriated Cory as he wants to be with me especially when it could have something to do with Reese. He is very protective!! So as we walked out to the waiting room (I had to wait to get a bed) I noticed a sign on the wall that said "Father's waiting". I kind of chuckled at the thought that this hospital may make the "dads" wait in the hall for the birth of their child like they did decades ago. Again, this infuriated Cory - as we have literally fought the US Army to have him here so he could see the birth of our son. I reassured Cory that I would ask.
I was called back to the department for my bed about 25 min later. I walked into a COMPLETELY white, sterile enviornment. It kind of looked like an OR. This was their birthing room. Nothing like the rooms at Regional, GMH, Allen Bennet, Women's or Mary Black. All of those places have rooms that are "homey" and inviting. This room had NO tv, no chair for the husband, nothing!!! Just a bed, a monitor and a warmer for the baby. Now I have not seen the rooms in the Mom/Baby ward yet, but this was really bad. Thank God I will be having a C-section and will actually be in an OR - a place that is supposed to be sterile. It just reminded me once again that I'm not in Kansas (ok, Spartanburg) anymore!!!
Another reminder for me was when we first moved here. I remember watching the news and the TOP story was that the Court house here in Bell County was going to have 2 camera's installed for safety. I laughed as I thought that you can't even walk into Spartanburg County Court house without being frisked and walking through a metal detector!!! And then the next story was about the fact that Bell County was "considering" using electronic finger printing for criminals instead of the old paper and ink. Again, this is ages behind Spartanburg County - who has the electronic AND a database!!!! Here, they still use filing cabinets. Can we say "Welcome, to Mayberry???"
These are just a few observations I've made since we've lived here. Just a reminder for me that there's No Place Like Home!!!!

***By the way - Cory WILL get to see his son be born!! He had to wait this time because we had the girls and there is no one under the age of 12 allowed in L&D!!!

1 comments:

Meredith said...

Merry Christmas to you, too! I just saw your message and will be praying for you guys as you prepare your hearts and minds for deployment (and Reese's birth)!
Love,
Meredith