CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 25, 2008

Calling all angels

Today is not a good day! Cory called this morning and he has FINALLY made it to his FOB. It has only taken 2 weeks and he and another guy are the LAST 2 to make it. I'm grateful that he has made it there safely, however the news that follows is upsetting to me. Let me give you a little background. Cory was promised in Texas that he would stay in the main aid station at his FOB with the PA (someone who was supposed to be a VERY good friend). The reasoning for this is that Cory is the ONLY Paramedic out of all the medics. He has more medical training than everyone except the PA. So he was to be the "trauma team leader" in the aid station. This was a position that Cory has fought to secure for over a year. We held on to the promises that we were given that Cory would be kept at the FOB and that's what has kept our spirits up until now. Cory was also put on a permanent profile for his feet (which are horrible) to secure his place in the main aid station. So, we thought that the Army would hold true to their word - what were we thinking?
Cory received word today that he will be sent out to a COP. (Here's the difference: FOB - forward operating base = LOTS of people, a good deal more secure, better medical equipment, more capability of providing more adquately medically; COP - combat outpost= one company, about 70 people, only secured by the company staying there, not a lot of medical equipment, a good deal away from the FOB, and oh yeah, a COP was what was ambushed a couple of weeks ago where they lost 9 soldiers). Because Cory was the last to get there (not his fault) he got the short end of the stick. Not to mention that the NCO's (non commisioned officers) are safe and sound in the aid station - heaven forbid they get out and get dirty. When Cory asked why all the sudden the promises made were not being kept, he was told that there was nothing they could do. THAT is a lie. I feel totally betrayed, once again by the US Army and those who have been given the power to be in charge. Cory's NCO's are the most selfish people I have EVER known. As long as they are safe and sound, that's all they care about! That is not a leader to me.
Cory is also being sent out with a guy that has just been promoted to E5, and not based on merit, purely based on the color of his skin!*This is not just my opinion, its a well known fact in this platoon* How's that for affirmative action?!?! Cory should have been promoted WAY before now, but because his platoon had to meet their "quota" he's been pushed back. I am so sick of the Army's lies and "false promises". And the worst part, I'm not even able to hold my husband as these tears of anger, frustration and fear are running down my face. I know God has a plan for him and a good reason for doing this, and I try to be positive when I'm on the phone with him. But I am dying inside. My anxiety level just shot through the roof and I feel like I'm gonna throw up all the time. Cory feels like God has forgotten him and is not hearing his prayers. I know this is not true, but what do I say to help him? This is by far the worst mistake of our lives, joining the Active Duty. A mistake that when we all come through this alive, I will spend the rest of my life telling people why they should NOT go active in the Army.
I'm sorry this is so long, but I feel like screaming... oh wait, I've already done that. My hands are tied. There's nothing I can do except sit and wait and pray- pray that I never receive the "visitors", pray for Cory's safety, pray for my sanity, pray for peace for both of us, just pray. I beg all of you to pray with me and for me. This is harder than I've ever could have imagined! This is a true test of our faith and sometimes I feel like I'm failing miserably.
* Correction: Thanks to my good friend Tina, there has been some light shed on the battle of July 13. Go here if you want to know the real truth... Thanks Tina for letting me know about this! It helps alot!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog even though I am not even really sure how I got to it. I really felt some empathy for you and your family with your husband having to leave as I have a good many friends in the military, but I really think some of the things you said in this email were completely wrong. How could you say someone got a promotion based just on their race? You know, the Army is here to fight for our freedom and really the things you have discussed are just all part of what comes along with the territory of joining and just like anything, things sometimes just don't seem fair. I am sorry that your husband will be placed in a different location than expected, but remember the families who have already lost their loved ones - those who are out there driving around in the humvees hitting IED's and blowing up and those who have to enter homes in search of the bad guy and who never come back out alive. I really hope you will rethink your take on this post.

Anonymous said...

I will continue to pray for you and your anxiety. Just keep the faith. Maybe the Army thought that Cory had more experience and they needed that where he will be. Remember, God is in Control! As someone who had a dad in service growing up. We never knew where he was or when he would come home. I will lift Cory up to God for his protection. I think they need his knowledge. Keep yourself busy w/ your beautiful children and give up all your worries to God. He will provide. We love you and are here for you. Love, Sheree

Medic Mom said...

To whomever the anonymous comment is from: I appreciate your view on the subject matter at hand, however until you have LIVED my life, do not pass judgement. My blog is a place to express MY opinions, if you don't like them, please refrain from reading them. As for the race thing, I do not need to justify my blog to you - just know I have my own reasons for saying what I say. As for your friends who are serving, may God bless them and keep them safe. And as for your assumption that I do not think of those who have lost a family member so far, you couldn't be any more wrong. Again, I need not justify myself to you, a perfect stranger. I just wanted to let you know I appreciate your take on things that's what freedom of speech is all about! May God bless you and yours wherever you are!

Tina said...

Chris:

I understand where you're coming from. We knew before Jack left that he would be going to the COP. And I'm pretty much freaked out 24/7 about it. But they say it gets easier with time...

Our men are out there EVERY SECOND, putting their lives on the line to protect our American freedoms and way of life. Men like Jack and Cory believe in what they're doing. And women like us . . . we keep our soldiers strong. Because we're strong.

Call me this weekend if you're not too busy, okay?

Your friend,
Tina

Anonymous said...

Anonymous post #1. Stop being a such a tool, a troll. Why don't you grow a pair and be placed in harms way everyday? Or is that bag of cheetoh's sitting in front of your TV playing armchair quarterback in your skidmarked underwear good enough?
you don't even have the courage to come un-anonymous. anyway, carry on, rump-ranger!

Annie said...

We love you and are praying for you and Cory! I know there aren't any right words. Claim Phil 4:6-7! I am sorry for your frustration and new worries. I pray that you and Cory feel constant comfort in the Lord.