CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 17, 2008

In the news...

Staying at home with Reese, I have been afforded the opportunity to watch the news daily. I didn't have the time to do this while I was working and going to school. I LOVE the Today Show, so I never miss at least the first hour - that's usually when the "important stories" are on. So today's Thursday 13 are the stories that have truly interested me over the last week!!!

1. Somewhere in Florida, there was a poor teenage girl who was beaten up by 6 other girls for writing some mean stuff on her MySpace about them. That's not even the bad part - THEY VIDEOED it and put it on YouTube. Can we say stupid?? Beating her up was bad, but videoing it was dumb!!!
2. In El Dorado, TX (about 2 hours from here, maybe less), there was a raid on a "religious" compound. Texas CPS removed over 400 children from the polygamist camp. Today there is a hearing to determine which, if any, of the children could return to the camp where their parents are. It is my prayer that the Judge decides not to send any of them back just yet - I feel there's some more investigating that needs to be done!
3. In relation to the same story, the Today Show explored why the women of these sects dress and act the way they do - here's what they came up with: The hair is a status symbol. The community believes that the longer the woman's hair, the closer they are to God. The "old timey" dresses are worn to cover a religious shroud that the women wear; also, the colors help to tell who's with who - each family has a color; everyone wearing that color belong to that family. Now my only question is: Where's the men? They are supposed to be the "leaders" of this commune, but I've yet to see one of them defending themselves against these MAJOR allegations!!!
4. MADLIBS are celebrating their 50th birthday today!! I used to LOVE these things - I'm considering posting one here and letting you guys feel in the blanks in the comment section!!!
5. There is some chemical in plastic bottles that has been deemed "dangerous". Look on the bottom of any plastic item and locate the number in the triangle. They say the numbers 3, 5 and 7 should be used cautiously!!!
6. This Presidential campaign has become quite to war of words. I'm not sure exactly what's being said between O and C, I usually leave the room when this comes on. I just know I'm tired of hearing it!!
7. The President is making all Army deployments only 12 months long (they have been 15 months for quite some time.) This sounds great accept that it will only effect those deployed after August - Cory leaves in June!! We've been told to prepare for 18 months, but hope for 15.
8. Gas prices are absolutely ridiculous!!!! That's all I'm gonna say about that!
9. There's a woman that has posted a video on YouTube about her divorce. I think this is hilarious. She's so upset and just ranting. I think its good therapy!!!
10. This week marks the one year anniversary of the VA Tech tragedy. I think they said they had something like 30,000 people at a candlelit vigil last night!! Wow, that's a lot of people!
11. Some kid got a BUTTER KNIFE stuck in his head!!
12. The Pope is visiting the US! I would love to see the PopeMobile in person.
13. The WINNER of The Biggest Loser is a girl!! GIRL POWER!!!!!!!!

So there it is. If you've lived under a rock for the last week or so, that's all you've missed. I wanted to put links to all the stories in each comment, but I can't figure out how! Can someone help me? Happy Thursday!

1 comments:

natalie said...

I hardly ever see/read the news, so thanks for the update. I used to read the news on MSNBC.com everyday...before I started blogging & reading blogs. In order to post a link, type the word(s) for the link - ex. MSNBC. Then highlight the word(s) and click on the button that looks like a green world with what are supposed to be chain links above it. A box will pop up that allows you to paste the URL for the page you want to link to. I hope this makes sense! Let me know if it doesn't, and I'll send you a better explanation in an email.