CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 15, 2008

He didn't have to be...

This post is dedicated to all the men in the world that have become a Dad to a child who is not biologically his. I remember faintly the first time I met John, my stepdad. I think my earliest memory of him was when he rented movies for us all and we watched them in the living room. If I remember correctly, he was one of the few men my mom dated that allowed us to actually do stuff with them. Maybe I just don't remember anyone else. Then I remember when we went to Disney World - I can actually only recall two events from that day: 1) We stood in line for what seemed like forever for Space Mountain and I refused to get on it at the last minute. I had to wait at the end of the ride by myself. 2) I was super tired (and whiny, I'm sure) and John carried me on his shoulders from the park to the car. I have scattered memories from that point to when I was in high school. I will be the first to admit that I was not the greatest teenager, but he handled it in stride. He came to EVERY activity I participated in. When I was a band dork, he was there with a HUGE sign - he was such a proud band parent. He traveled to NY and California just to see me ( and my brother) march in a parade. He has always been supportive of the activities I chose to participate in. Then when I became pregnant, after his initial reaction of shock, he once again stepped up to the plate and took care of me. I remember when the girls were born; it was the first time I had seen him cry. He came to the hospital each and everyday to help with the feedings in the NICU. He helped me paint the nursery and even pulled a nightly shift with the girls when they came home. He opened his home to us and provided for our little family relentlessly while I was in school. He has taken the girls on EVERY vacation they've ever been on because I was either working or in school when they went. He gave me away on my wedding day. He always provides a wonderful meal when our family has a special occasion. He flew the girls out to Texas (and left them - which was a shocker, lol) He has been not only my father figure for 18 + years, but was the girls father figure for the first 5 of their life. Though times were tough occasionally in our family, John has alway strived to be the Christian leader, father and provider for our family. He will never know how much he means to me. The list could go on and on of all the things he has done for me and my family, but because he is the humble man he is, I will not embarass him any further, LOL. He is a wonderful father and what makes him even better is that he didn't have to be!
I can't let this day go by without recognizing my husband, Cory. He too has stepped up to the plate and been an outstanding Dad. He has taken on the parenting role without hesitation. I can't remember the first time he actually met the girls, but all I know is that pretty much from the start the girls were in love with him. When we got engaged and began to plan our wedding, I remember people would ask them what they were getting for Christmas (our anniversary is Dec. 26) and they would respond with "I'm getting a Daddy" and after Christmas they would tell everyone "I got a Daddy for Christmas." Cory, too, has taken the trials of parenting in stride and continues to be a pillar of strength for our family. The girls know only him as their father and love him unconditionally. They love their soldier daddy. I also remember when we found out we were pregnant with Reese, it was early in the morning when I took the test and when I got back in bed he rolled over and I said, "honey, we're pregnant". He opened his eyes ever so slightly and replied, "really?!?" kissed me and went back to sleep. When he woke up he had a glow on his face that was unmistakable. Now he has a "mini me" and loves him to pieces. Although Reese is trying most of the time, Cory continues to face each day with the determination to make our little man happy!!! To see him with his kids warms my heart and breaks it all the same. I know that there will be a void in our kids lives for the next 15 months that I will never be able to fill. I know that the girls will always look to him as their Dad and will always be proud of the sacrifices he has made. Reese too will be proud of his Dad; thankfully, he will not remember this time! He too is a great Dad; always giving, sacrificing and doing the best he can to be a good role model for his kids.
To John: Thank you for being who you are and where you are - always standing right behind me! I hope you are proud of me and my family and that each and everyday you walk through life knowing that you "hung the moon" for at least 2 little girls!!! You are one of the greatest men I know. I love you! I hope you have a wonderful Father's Day!
To Cory: You are my husband, but most importantly, you are the Father to my children! I am so proud of you and though I will never be able to take your place in our children's lives, please know that I will do everything I can to ensure they will not forget who you are while you are away. You are their hero and mine as well!! We love you and will miss you, but keep in mind this is just a small amount of time compared to the rest of our lives! Thank you for being a Dad, when you didn't have to be! I love you!

2 comments:

Amanda-The Family News! said...

hi! I stumbled upon your blog thru another, thru another and so on... What caught my eye was you are an Army wife!! While I am not, my sister is and is stationed with her family out in Fort Hood as well. We also have something else in common - your sweet baby boy shares the same birthday as my baby daughter Lauren -

Amanda-The Family News! said...

Oh yes - I saw your blog thru Kelly's Krazy Kids - she is linked to a blogger friend of mine The Pettigrew's. I live in Inman, SC.
My brother in law is currently in Iraq - I believe he is in the 3d ACR. I have a cousin stationed in TX also - I am not sure what unit he is in, but I'll ask.
My father is retired Army so I have this huge support for military personnel and just seem to relate pretty well! I would love to stay in touch!! Are you coming back to SC for good or to visit??