CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Forgiveness

Forgiveness has never been hard for me to give. As a matter of fact, I'd probably argue that I forgive way to easily most times. But there are some things that I have a hard time forgetting. God calls us to forgive AND forget. But when someone close to you has wronged you, it cuts deep. I'd like to say that I've forgotten some of the most hurtful things in my life, by obviously as I sit and write this, they are still in the back of my mind! Cory always picks at me by saying that I have the brain of an elephant, I can remember everything!! I don't necessarily think this is bad though. I think that as long as you do not harbor any bad feelings for the person who has wronged you or continue to bring it back up, its ok to remember - for future reference. Here's what I mean - when you were a kid and you touched a hot stove, it burned you; so now (hopefully) it is imbedded into your mind to not touch that hot stove... you still cook and use the stove, but you use it more cautiously now. Does that make sense? I think thats why I remember things, to prevent me from being hurt again like that (or by that person); because I remember the hurt that was caused and therefore I am more cautious.
I say all that to say that in the last month, I have tried to right the wrongs of my past (well, most of them). Apologize when needed and forgiven when needed (even if they didn't ask). It has been shocking to me to see the responses. I thought it would turn into a war of words with a few people, but suprisingly it has been a peaceful exchange! I can't even begin to explain how good it feels to let go of that resentment in my heart; leaving room for more LOVE!!! Now that I no longer have pieces of my heart filled with anger and dislike for those who have wronged me, I can give those pieces to a more deserving cause: loving my husband, kids, family and friends even more (who knew that was even possible?!?!)
My friend, Tina, posted a blog in the last couple of days about forgiveness too. She didn't even know what was going on in my little corner of the world, so it was just interesting to know that someone so close to me was thinking about the same thing! She posted some quotes about forgiveness in her blog. I liked them, so I stole them (HeHe - Love ya girl!)

"When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free."
- Catherine Ponder

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much." ..:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />
- Oscar Wilde

"To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you."
- Lewis B. Smedes

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well."
- Lewis B. Smedes

"When a deep injury is done us, we never recover until we forgive"
- Alan Paton

"We achieve inner health only through forgiveness - the forgiveness not only of others but also of ourselves"
- Joshua Loth Liebman

0 comments: