CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Army 101

Cory had a four day weekend this past weekend so we really enjoyed having him home EVERYDAY, ALL DAY. But today, its back to the grind. Cory has left for the field for at least 3 days, so I am all alone - again. I have started to compare being an Army wife to being in school. Everyday here there are lessons to be learned, and lessons to be reinforced. These lessons vary from Pay issues (which the Army is notorious for), how to get laundry detergent spilled on your husband Class A's over two months ago out without ruining them, learning how to do a DTY (do it yourself) move and have the Army pay you, to learning the proper way to pack a Ruck Sack with all the supplies your husband will need to survive in the field for at least a week (maybe longer). Its a never ending process and I've learned something new everyday. I could probably write a book on the lessons I've learned since being here in Texas. But just like school, the Army has tests. I feel like field missions (like the one Cory is on now) are like end of Chapter tests. They are used to make sure that we, as Army wives, are retaining the lessons we've learned as our men are usually taken to the field in the middle of some crisis (such as the Pay issue we are having right now). I use these times to boost my confidence, putting the tools I have developed into action. Then you have your Pop quizzes. These consist of minor set backs that the Army throws at you at least once a week(these may be pay issues, housing issues, or other "pearls" the Army likes to give you). I feel like these are used to keep us on our feet and never really get "settled" because Army life changes EVERYDAY and sometimes multiple times a day. My family can atest to the fact that my life is ever changing. They may talk to me at 8 am and this is going on and then by noon, plans have TOTALLY changed. I've learned to never write in pen, that's for sure. Then you have your FINALS. These are known as NTC (National Training Center). It consists of the soldiers going to California (at least in our case) for a month to train for combat overseas. Unfortunately, Cory's NTC is scheduled for middle of Jan to middle of Feb (the time Reese is to be born). We're working on this now, and hope to have all the details figured out by Christmas so that Cory can be home for the birth. NTC is the test that makes sure you can survive the Deployment as your soldier is taken from you , with little contact and you are left to handle matters on your own. I am confident that I can make it through all of this, with the support from my family and friends and most importantly the guidance of God's hands. So I'm off to hit the books again - more lessons to learn. I just wish that at the end of all this I could put this on my resume' and it carry some weight!!!!

0 comments: