CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Only in Texas...

I'm doing my Thursday Thirteen a little early as I'm not sure if I'll have time to do it tomm. I am going to list 13 things you will only find in Texas - well, you may find them other places, just not places I've been. Only in Texas...
1) Will it be 85 degrees when you walk into the mall to get your hair cut and it will 60 degrees when you come out - and you've only been inside an hour.
2) Will you see the Texas State Flag ALWAYS flying at the same height as the US Flag. Most other states show a little respect to Old Glory - but not in Texas.
3) Will you hear school age children reciting a Pledge to the Texas State flag immediately following the Pledge of Allegiance.
4) Will you be able to carry ANY size gun as long as it is in plain site - without a permit.
5) Will you see topless women walking around outside and it is all completely legal as long as you cannot see genitals or anus ( I'm sure this law applies in at least Lousiana, but it still shocks me).
6) Will you have to travel one way down the "frontage road" just to do a U Turn under the bridge to go one way up the other side. This is extremely frustrating - trust me.
7) Will you hear a state refer to itself as The Republic of Texas and not ever really claim to be a part of the US.
8) Will you be able to drive from sun up to sun down and not even be close to the end of the state (again, this may apply to other states, but Texas is the only state I've heard truck drivers saying things like "Sunrise to sunset and you still ain't out of Texas yet."
9) Will you hear the residents call themselves "southern" but not know how to make sweet tea.
10) Will your kids get a day and a half off every 8 weeks, not to mention all the days in between that are declared "holidays" - I've never seen kids get out of school this much in my life!
11) Will you have 3 WalMarts within about 5 miles of each other - this may just be here, but I swear you can walk out one WalMart and see the other two from the door. (ok, a maybe not THAT close, but they are close)
12) Will you find 32 elementary schools, 11 middle schools and 4 high schools in ONE school district. (This requires a sub list of at least 1000 people, no joke)
13) Will you find signs that report the number of days its been since road fatalities. This may be unique to Fort Hood, but at every gate there is a sign with a red, yellow and green light. The sign reads "___ days since our last fatality". I've yet to see it make it past 30 days. This just shows you the caliber of drivers roaming these streets.

*** These are just a few things I've found unique about this great state... Hope you guys have a wonderful day!!!

0 comments: