CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Pills and speeding tickets

This morning I was taking the girls to school. I've discovered that if I cut across and take the road in front of the school here in our village (our kids go off post - different post all together), it eliminates all the extra traffic the soldiers bring as they are trying to get through the gate. So as I turn onto the road, I let my foot off the excelerater and coast so that I can go from 20mph (the nonschool zone speed limit) to 10 mph (the school zone limit). I was coasting at about 12 mph as I approach the far fence on the school property. I saw that there was a Military Police car sitting at the end of the road "clocking" people. There were two kids waiting to cross the road so I stopped and let them cross. The MP had put on his lights, but did not move. As I appproached the car, he held his hand out to stop me (still sitting in his car, mind you). I stopped and rolled down my window. He said " Ma'am, I clocked you going 12 mph when you crested that hill. You realize that because this is a school zone, I could cite you double the fines." I said, "Yes sir, but by the time I made it to the school, I was well within the limit." He just looked at me and replied "Well, just take this as a warning." I said thanks and drove away. It dawned on me that I almost got a ticket for driving 12 MPH, is that even legal??? How ridiculous would I have felt explaining to my husband that I got a ticket for driving slower than some soldiers could run!!! So Brian, looks like you're not the only lead foot in the family, lol!!!!
On another note - think back to when your parents taught you how to swallow pills (as in medication). Unless your parents are saints, they probably got a little frustrated with you the first couple of times you tried and failed. Cory and I had always sworn that we would not be like that because that was what was done to us. Well tonight, we ate those words!!! We were trying to teach Hailey to swallow a very small antibiotic. She just wouldn't do it. It was one of those mind things - once its in there, nothing can change it!! I won't go into all the details because frankly I am embarrased of my behavior, I'll just leave you with the fact that she eventually got the medication down - not in the pill form, but thanks to Daddy's quick thinking!! I don't know what we are going to do tomm. She has 10 days to take these pills, twice a day! I think I'll google ways to teach someone how to swallow pills. Any advice from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated!!!

4 comments:

Haley said...

12 MPH!!!? That is probably the most insane thing I have ever heard! It sounds like that guy was on a power trip! You handled the situation very well, probably better than I would have! :)

Annie said...

I don't have any advice about the pill situation other than dissolving them in a drink she likes. I have always been a great pill taker.
I am glad you didn't get a ticket. I do wonder what a 12 mph violation would cost, though? haha

natalie said...

I had the same problem with swallowing pills when I was even older than your girls. It is definitely a mind thing. You can mix the medicine up in apple sauce if she can't swallow it.

Anonymous said...

Christan don't be too hard on her because adult woman can't swallow pills either. As Natalie said, put apple sauce on a spoon and put the pill in it and let her swallow. When she gets a little older she will understand the back of the tongue and swallow trick. It worked with Annie and Amy and they have been taking pills from a young age. It is a gag thing that gets most people. Hang in there!/Sheree