CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Just call me Scrooge!!

I've been reading everyone's blogs on how excited they are about Christmas and all the decorating they've been doing (and its all beautiful, might I add). However, for some reason I am in a MAJOR funk this year. I'm not really sure why, but I'm having a terribly hard time dealing with all the Christmas " spirit". So today's Thursday Thirteen is dedicated to why I think I'm having such a hard time. Maybe by putting them down on "paper" , it will help me to face my issues and fix them - we'll see.
1) This is my first Christmas away from most of the people I know and love. Its just going to be Cory, I and the girls and this is tearing me up!!! I know its hard for them (everyone in SC) too, but at least they have other people around them - for us, its just us. Driving to see people is out of the question due to distance and Reese.
2) Cory and I have not bought a tree yet. I think we've finally decided to go with the real tree instead of the fake one. This has been a topic of debate for the last few weeks. We just haven't had the time to buy one.
3) We have NO Christmas decorations. My mom is supposed to send us some, but they have not arrived.
4) With me out of work and the Army's lack of pay, our funds are a little low. I usually make a BIG deal of Christmas since my love language is giving - this year I feel like I'm lacking!
5) Its still pretty warm here. I know its Texas, but there's nothing Christmasy about 70 degree weather.
6) Black Friday was a total bust. Its not as big a deal here as it is in Spartanburg. I was totally disappointed.
7) I'm so big, I have no energy to do anything. The thought of shopping makes me tired.
8) There's no place to hang stockings. I know that I can hang them on the wall, and I will when I get them. I'm used to the beautiful mantle at Mom and Johns.
9) I can't listen to My 102.5 and all the Christmas music they play. I'm not a huge carol fan, but I like to know that if the mood strikes me, I can tune in and listen away.
10) We don't have to go 50 different places to see everyone. I know that I may complain about this sometimes, but for me - its what Christmas has always been.
11) We have no "chimney" for Santa to come down - explain that to a 6 year old!!!
12) Nothing about Killeen says "christmas" to me. At home I know Main St is lined with candy canes and stars and christmas trees on the light posts - here, there's nothing.
13) No HOLLYWILD. This is always a tradition for me. I love the lights and the animals. Sure we have BLORA here that does "Nature in lights", but I doubt its anywhere close. We'll try it anyway, though.

So there you have it. Those are the reasons I'm such a Scrooge this year. I promise I'm trying to get into the spirit, its just a lot harder on me than I thought it would be!!! Please keep me (and my poor husband who hates to see me cry) in your prayers!! We love you and hope that at least YOU have a Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Annie said...

I am sorry you are having a hard time getting in the spirit. I will be praying for you. Tell Hailey and Samantha that Hannah doesn't have a mantle either (it would have added close to $5000 to the cost of house, and this is Charleston so we didn't need it). This is the only time of year not having a fire place bumbs me out. You can always leave a key under the mat for Santa. This year has been different for me. My love language is also gift giving, but I am trying to focus on things more lasting. I am going to e-mail you a link to a blog that had an idea for something Hannah and I might do that maybe will help you get in the spirit. We love you. I also have some extra Christmas stuff that I will try to get in the mail next week.

natalie said...

Here's a link to My 102.5's website: http://www.wmyi.com/main.html. At least you can listen at home on the internet. I know it's hard to be away from family this time of year, but I am sure that y'all will be able to make your own special Christmas celebration the way you did at Thanksgiving.