CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A yoke of kindness

Here's another devotional I thought I would share...

**Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:29**

Farmers in ancient Israel used to train an inexperienced ox by yoking it to an experienced one with a wooden harness. The straps around the older ox were tightly drawn. He carried the load. But the yoke around the younger animal was loose. He walked alongside the more mature ox, but his burden was light. In this verse Jesus is saying, "I walk alongside you. We are yoked together. But I pull the weight and carry the burden."

I wonder how many burdens Jesus is carrying for us that we know nothing about. We're aware of some. He carries our sin. He carries our shame. He carries our eternal debt. But are there others? Has he lifted fears before we felt them? Has he carried our confusion so we wouldn't have to? Those times when we have been surprised by own sense of peace... Could it be that Jesus has lifted our anxiety onto his shoulders and placed a yoke of kindness on ours?


As I read this, I had what Dr. Phil calls a "light bulb moment". Living here in Texas, away from EVERYONE, I've often times been shocked at how well I handled certain situations. Instead of locking myself in the bathroom and crying (which I have to admit I've done a couple of times), most of the time when a curve ball is thrown at me - which is practically daily - I conquer it. Well, duh, its not me at all - ITS GOD!!! That's why it seems so easy for me - its not me at all! How awesome to know that not only will God carry the burdens we ask him too, he'll carry the ones he knows we're gonna need the extra muscle for! God is Good!

0 comments: