CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A new day has dawned...

This morning at 4am, I made the decision to end all efforts to breastfeed. Why?!?! Well, Reese wasn't getting better (as far as his tummy was concerned), and my body just wasn't producing what was needed to go all breastfed. So for the sake of my baby, and for our sanity - I chose to abandon my selfish need to breastfeed and go all formula.
Then, this evening my best friend, Amy, came into town and reminded me that maybe we were using the wrong formula. I then remembered that the girls could not take anything but Goodstart. Maybe that was our issue. So we headed off to the PX to buy a can of Goodstart and some Platex Nursers (my most favorite bottles).
So, a new day has dawned in the Trotter house. We're on a new formula with new bottles and hopefully our tummy issues will work themselves out soon!!! Thank you all for your words of encouragment and your advice - they all lifted me up when I needed them the most. When and if we have one more baby, I plan on doing things a lot differently!!
Now, if only I could find a good way to "get rid" of the milk my body has worked so hard to build up....

5 comments:

Annie said...

I am sorry this has been so rough. I remember when I made the very same decision. We made it 4 months, but I had planned on going much longer. I was so upset! Hannah did really well on Enfimil, but it was the most expensive. (not sure of spelling) I think you are making a good choice. You have do to what works for you guys.
Also, I have heard that if you put cabbage in your bra, it will dry up your milk.
I hope Reese gets to feeling better very soon! love you

The Dales said...

Yes, Perrin is finiky (sp?) on formulas. We just changed his formula (he was drinking the most expensive stuff there is) to cut the cost but I don't know if he likes it...ugh!

If you have a pump, you should pump every few hours or so to release the pressure of the build up of your milk. It will dwindle away eventually.

Hope things continue to improve! I'll be praying for you!

Jessi said...

When you get engorged get in the shower and just stand there and press on them until they stop leaking, (or squirting). The warm water will make them feel so much better. Have you ever thought about pumping? I breastfed Noah, and I didn't think it was all that great, plus I had no idea how much he was really getting. That lasted about 2 weeks. So, w/ Tucker I made up my mind we were just going to start w/ formula. But when he was in the NICU I decided I would pump because it would be better. The pumping thing worked out. I rented a machine from the hospital for about a month and a half, and it was a more pleasant experience. And when it was time to dry it up, I just stood in the shower when they would get built up. Good Luck.

PS - Enfamil is a great formula. They also have different types for spit up, gas, etc. I used this kind w/ both.

The Browns said...

I hope and pray this new day is the beginning of all things good and calm and uneventful for the Trotters! Don't let those crazy "breastfeeding is the only way" people make you question your decision (it is great for many people but NOT for everyone). You are Reese's mommy and no one knows what is best for him more than you! As for your milk production... good luck with that. You probably are going to have a few uncomfortable days!

natalie said...

I decided to put Emma on formula once we came home from the hospital because she was jaundiced, and I was worried about her not getting enough milk from me to flush the excess bilirubin out of her system. I applaud you making the decision to do what's best for your child! That's what being a mother is all about. I agree that the shower helps ease the discomfort as your milk dries up. I also wore a snug sports bra.