CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Why is it so hard to do the right thing??

Reese is one week old today!! He's doing well. The last two days have been a bit trying on us though. I'm in the process of switching him to all breast (no formula) and it has left him a bit constipated. He went from having a dirty diaper every feeding to NONE in a 24 hour period! Its left him a bit unsettled. Not really crying - yet. But I"m sure its only a matter of time!!! Breastfeeding has hit a lull. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but Reese nursed off and on for a whole hour today and was still so hungry he took an entire 2 oz bottle (that was meant to just supplement). This is extremely frustrating for me as I feel like a failure when I've endured an hour of pain for what seems to be nothing. Its still so painful, I can only hope that soon it will get better. I will be calling the Pediatrician on Monday to see what the deal is with his bowels - hopefully its nothing that a few days won't fix! My question - if Breastfeeding is supposed to be the "right" thing to do for baby and is supposed to be SO uber healthy, why is it so hard????? That's a question for the pearly gates if you ask me!!!
As for my baby blues, I still have my moments. Cory and I have had a good talk about it all and he is helping more than he will ever know. I truly have been blessed with him. He's a "first time dad" for all intensive purposes, but he has been a real trooper!!! I feel that as soon as we get the breastfeeding under control, I'll be much better. Its just so discouraging sometimes - I'm trying to do what's best for our little man, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way.
So hopefully I'll know more of what to do on Monday. And more than that, I hope Reese has a good poop soon (sorry for the grossness here). Hope you all are having a good weekend!!!

5 comments:

Varner Party of 3 said...

Don't worry too much about the no poop thing. When Gavin was breastfeeding, he pooped every single time he ate. When I started switching him to formula, his poop started to change. He went a 24 hour period with no poop. But there's a book that we got from our doctor's office that the doctors wrote themselves and it said don't worry about the frequency of poop as much as the consistency of the poop. If he hasn't pooped after a day, then I would call the doctor to make sure. I know we got infant suppositories, but cut them in half. It helped some.
I agree with your question about why breastfeeding is supposed to be natural when it is so dang hard! It's funny that you say that because I asked mom the exact same thing when I was nursing - and I also asked her why becoming mother was so hard. But each day got a little easier and now I love it.

Jackie said...

Perrin goes about every other day to every 3 days. I thought that was not enough but doctor says it is fine, but not to let it go more than three days.

natalie said...

Emma was very constipated about a week after she was born. I won't go into detail, but I also called the doctor on the weekend. He suggested adding Caro Syrup to her bottles, and that helped. I know how frustrating it can be when your child is crying, and you can't do anything for them. I've never cried so much in my life as I did while I was pregnant and right after Emma was born. Just know that it all gets better with time & that you've got people praying for you!

The Dales said...

Hey! I had the SAME issues with Perrin (except the poop issue) when I first had him. I had the blues bad and he was not wanting to breast feed good. It was making me crazy and every time I knew he was hundry and I knew I had to breastfeed I would start to feel sick and I would cry and so I am sure it would make him cry and it just never worked out for us. I pumped for 5 months and it worked great! He had all breast milk for about 3 or 3 and a half months and then I had to start supplementing.

I know breastfeeding is the best for baby but if it is making you upset and making the blues worse quit! It made me a better mom to finally decide to just pump for him. I hope our next child it will work out breastfeeding but if not, I will not force it.

I will pray for you but just remember, if you can't do it and Reese isn't taking to it quick and he is hungry, feed him formula! I decided..you know, I am sure there are millionaire, doctors, lawyers and a lot of other people that are successful people and they weren't breastfed.....he will be fine on whatever he eats....as long as he eats and is growing! Good luck, girl! I know you will make a great decision for you and Reese!

Amber said...

It is an emotional roller coaster for sure. You are a champ for sticking it out with the breastfeeding. Just take it one day at a time. My good friend said the best piece of advice she ever got about raising a child was from her grandmother. She told her, "Just keep em alive honey. Just keep em alive." It makes me laugh every time I think of it because as absurd as it sounds it really is the truth!